Tag Archive | Modification

TTSH, spring reverb mods

Alritey let’s continue details of my TTSH with two spring reverb modifications. If you’re looking for other build / modification posts on the project, please visit the main page right here.

Opamp Upgrade

This modification is done to improve the noise floor of spring reverb, by upgrading the opamp in the output amplifier circuit (recovery amp). The mod was suggested by user Nordcore at Muffwiggler forum and looks like this:

TTSH reverb driver mod schematic by Nordcore.

TTSH reverb driver mod schematic by Nordcore.

I sort of failed with adding this mod in that I didn’t bother taking before and after audio recordings: So it’s rather impossible to say how much the noise floor was effectively reduced. On my TTSH the circuit was noisy before and is noisy after.. Yet I’d still say it’s better.

On to the build..:

The reverb driver circuit in its stock config

The reverb driver circuit in its stock config

Read More…

ProtoTypo PT3a – BUM

Time for the next ProtoTypo build! This is a quick one I’ve been working on during the past week, and for a change I thought I’ll just get the build documentation out of the way while I’m in the zone (noooot!).

Behringer VMX 100 Dj Mixer

It’s a Behringer VMX 100 Dj Mixer. Photo by internet.

Read More…

LED mods for Arp 1601 clone

Still time for a quick one before it’s ‘BYE BYE 2016’! :)

While building my TTSH I also got myself a DIY kit of a Arp 1601 sequencer clone. The build itself was so straightforward that I didn’t see the point in blogging the details. However I made some LED mods to it and thought maybe this would be of interest to owners of this device. So if you ended up here looking to change the color of LEDs on your Arp 1601 clone, look no further! If you’re in a hurry, check the summary section at the end of this post.

While you can also find my posts related to the mod at Muffwiggler (Muff) forum, I thought my blog here is a more compact way to present the information. For one, since forum threads at Muff are created by product / project, there’s a number of discussions going on at the same time (esp. if a DIY build). So a thread can become convoluted. Second, threads which span years (or multiple production runs of a kit) can become l-o-n-g, adding to the ‘needle in a haystack’ effect. Third, if you’re not logged in the board system won’t show post attachments or the like. So it can be quite the dig looking for information you need.

But don’t get me wrong, I love the Muffwiggler board and a lot of highly skilled people dwell there. It’s just that often the format isn’t good for finding information that you need instantly.

Well maybe my ramblings aren’t either, but let’s not follow that tangent! :D

My finished 1601 build

My finished 1601 build

Read More…

TTSH, speaker baffle mod

This was a quick “let’s see what happens” kind of mod for my TTSH.

In their stock config, the TTSH loudspeakers are supposed to be fastened to the circuit board, which is then fastened to the front plate. Handy approach eg. for having the electronics as a entirely separate, single ‘module’ for servicing etc. But problem with this is that it leaves a ~12mm gap between the driver and the front panel. Read More…

Roland JP-4 IO Mod

For ages, I’ve badly wanted a MIDI mod for my JP-4, but the urge hasn’t been quite Kenton-bad. Needless to say, when I came across the Roland Jupiter-4 IO mod at the Jupiter forum sometime this february I was pretty amazed.. and shortly after, a kit in the mail! Kinda difficult to say no to a cheaper kit with better features.. ;)

Installation was a breeze and the added functionalities also gave me a possibility to receive a bit of RTFM from Laszlo (the creator of IO mod kit). Contrary to the installation instructions, I chose to drill holes for the MIDI connectors where the audio jacks are. There’s a relatively pointless warning plate right above the jacks and just so as it happens, the plate is about the size of two MIDI connectors. If the mod had to be removed, the drilled holes can be then covered with the original warning plate. Anyway, for the connectors to be installed like this, their cables had to be replaced to match the new location.

Boards and cabling installed

MIDI connectors

Not much else to say about this kit than recommend getting one if you have a JP-4 :)