One last repair for the DG-20 before I can start considering breaking it in some other way! Any electronic instrument from the 80s is very much a excellent candidate for circuit-bending after all.. ;)
When I got it, the DG-20 had serious problems deciding whether a note was held on the fretboard or not. In closer inspection it turned out that a previous owner had attempted some kind of repairs on the fretboard. Like said, it’s too bad that this person had decided to remove the rubber mat by pulling it off from the fretboard instead of doing it properly, in turn tearing the mat into three slices. To illustrate the structure just for you (<3), I made the this fancy mspaint diagram:
So in its original configuration, the rubber mat attaches to the fretboard with the bits wrapping around the PCB edges. Once this combination is installed to the neck (double-sided tape and two screws used on the PCB), the mat will stay nicely put although it’s not actually fastened with anything else than surface contact.
Advancing with the DG-20 repairs.. Against my initial plan of “covering the rest of mech stuff at once”, the focus this time will be entirely on fixing the damaged headpiece mech. It turned out that some previous owner of my DG-20 has been kind enough to remove the fretboard rubber mat by tearing it off and attaching it back with some “hard plastic” type glue. Sooo.. because of this the rubber mat is in three pieces (instead of one) and there’s a neat glue mess waiting to be cleaned off the fretboard, all adding up to a bit of extra repair “fun” for me. Thanks a bunch.