Panel layout starting to take form.. To aid laying out a design, I decided to add a separate layer to the sketch just for drawing in the mechanical dimensions of all parts (knobs, solder lugs etc). A bit of extra work, but it’s definitely way easier to place parts when you have a visual confirmation that the clearances are ok. In the sketch, this layer is the cyan-colored one.
Other layer colors here are violet for PCBs, green for sub panel and yellow for front panel. The PCBs are supposed to stack up with the panel eventually, but positioning these three together will be about the last bit. Less clutter this way.
Returning to something way more DIY-ish after the off-topicness the other day, I figured maybe it’s time to officially kick off my Model 2 Klee Sequencer project. Thing is, I’ve had the bare PCBs for a Klee for over 2 years now, but I promised myself not to have yet-another-incomplete-project on my desk until I’ve completed some of the existing builds. Reckon that moment is here, finally.
For my Klee, the plan is to take the “design-route”. That is, get all the items needed before starting assembly and the put enough hours to measurements, planning and sketching. This way, I’ll hopefully end up with a fairly ready-to-assemble set of parts and be able to complete the Klee over a few build sessions. Spec-wise, its all extras/add-ons and sliders instead of rotary pots. Mechanically, I’m thinking of doing yet another sub panel approach to hide sliders screws etc. and basing the panel design to Stephen Drake’s Klee. It looks like this:
..though I’ll aim for a standard rack unit instead of MOTM format Steve is using. If this doesn’t work out, then a desktop Klee should be just as fine.. Or maybe I’ll just add rack ears to have both!