Archive | Mechanics RSS for this section

Klee, switched-on cables

Klee is starting to get cabled up!

I chose to go about it using flat cables: These result with somewhat as clean a solution as the “bundle method” which Klee build issue 6 manual suggest using, but without the added work stage of having have to bundle up the cables.

It’s been such a long time since I last did cable crimping, that I conveniently forgot how much I actually hate the task. Starting out it took me about 30 minutes to cobble together the first 8-pin cable! Subsequent cables of course went a lot faster.

Nonetheless, the vexing start made me think that it might be a good idea not to overly annoy myself with this. Build projects are supposed to be fun and all that, right? If I was to approach the work stage by, say, making a maximum of 4 cables per day, it should prevent excess of vitutus maksimus arising (pardon my finnish). This way I’ll have the cables sorted out some time early next week. Good enough pace for me.

klee-cabling-start

Not too many cables installed, and things already look a bit messy..

Read More…

Advertisements

x0x, finishing touches

Time to wrap up this project on the blog end too!

I’ve had the x0x complete and in use from around fall 2011 (first live at Dekadence Dataparty 2011), but finishing this text has gotten pushed aside.. Prioritizing masses of this and that over writing, as usual. This delay however has also a little in common with the “extra” I wanted to do for this project..  I give you ‘Jam the x0x’:

Not by far the first take I did of this song,  but a one-go live recording without additional editing anyway! Besides x0x I’m using XBase09 for drums, MC-202 routed through a MX-200 effects unit and x0x through Filterbank 2.

On to the build..

Read More…

Flexible Stream

I’m just so excited about all the CNC ideas available at Flexible Stream I can’t resist plugging it a little bit more. So in case you missed this site from my tweets, go check it out NOW! The ‘50 digital wood joints‘ looks much like something I definitely have to draw inspiration from with a loudspeaker project I’m about to start working on (hopefully) sometime soon :)

Oh and Flataalto is so <3

Klee, mech fuckups

What a nice week of milling fuckups with the Klee mech.

After milling the top panel, I noticed I forgot to draw in three SPDT switches. No idea how this slipped past my radar, as I did check the drawings many times prior to milling. Situation was pretty much saved by the fact that I had at least reserved space for the switches. Just add the holes and the project is back on track..

Three missing.

.. or it would be, had I just drilled these holes by hand. Instead, I chose to go all fancy and use the router! Aligning the board on the CNC table for adding these holes was of course a total annoyance, but I got it right eventually.

Just to have a bit of extra crap thrown in, the CNC program decided that these three holes should have a 1mm offset on Y-axis. Something I of course noticed right about the moment the milling bit went in :). No idea why it turned out this way, after all zero location was ok and I did check for it three times. But whatever, the 1mm difference was persistent so I just compensated for it by offsetting the zero location.

Read More…

Klee, mech WIP

Work-in-progress teaser ;)

Sub panel starting to take shape.

Close-up of right edge, the home of all rotary potentiometers.