Odyssey, fixed again <3
A bit of a late post this as I’ve had my Odyssey operational for some months now, but at least there is a lesson to be learned here. To recap the situation a bit, the power supply failure with my Arp Odyssey caused something on the VCF circuit on board C to fail. This board also hosts the AD/ADSR generators and the output amplifier, but they weren’t affected by the PSU problems.
Repairing the VCF section turned out a trip far more winding than expected. I made a false diagnosis in the process and thus ended up “downgrading” back to the original 4023 VCF module AND even (unnecessarily) removing the potting material in order to be able to measure the entire VCF circuit in detail! I won’t go into details about de-potting, but if you want to read about the process, check out this excellent page @ ArpTech.
Anyway, as I was getting nowhere poking around the 40235 dual VCF module, the idea with the VCF downgrade was to restore the synth to factory spec. Less complex design, calibration procedures corresponding to the original service spec and a factory etched board should help removing possible DIY errors from the problem solving equation.. And besides, the 40235 is bit of a bitch to measure thanks to its compact part layout :)
Whereas in the end, the _real_ root cause for the VCF failure turned out to be A1 on board C (output driven near the positive voltage rail), being too much into diagnosing the dual VCF board instead I failed to look elsewhere and spot the real fault. This effect is pretty common with electronics design / troubleshooting and I fell right into it, despite having been in a similar situation countless of times. You know, stare at a circuit or schematic long enough and you sort of become blind to even obvious errors. Just as an example..
Not too long ago I faced a case where the motherboard of a device had to be revised because of some (end-of-life) component changes. Problem was that the original board design had been around for so long that it’s PCB layout files were lost. So, the board had to be drawn from scratch in order to fabricate the new version. When I got the first batch of these new boards for testing, it turned out that half of the internal address bus routing between the onboard EPROM and the CPU was missing altogether! No wonder the boards had problems booting up ;). It might feel surprising that such an apparent error can escape the eyes of the engineer who drew the new layout but rest assured these things do happen! Even the engineer who peer-reviewed the new design failed to spot this nasty short-coming.
Anyway, coming back to the Odyssey.. I performed the diagnosis and repairs during a rather long period, as I had to wait for some replacement parts to arrive in the mail (and whatnot). The funny thing is, once I had the Odyssey running with the 4023, it became apparent that I had stashed the 40235 VCF some place “too safe” and was unable to find it anymore (getting maybe just a bit too absent-minded? :).. Oh well, I’ll definitely take a look at it again once I find it.
Whilst de-potting the 4023, I started thinking maybe I could mod it to be installed ‘components up’. If pin headers were soldered in-between, the module would become removable and in turn make it easier to switch modules.. or just removing the installed one for repairs. Not much to it once the module was de-potted, I’ll let the pictures do the talking:
Despite what it looks like, the headers make the module sit tight enough for it not to fall off. No idea how much mechanical vibration or shocks this plug-in version might endure, but it’s not like I’m going to expose the synth to any.
As for fixing the snapped slider, I decided to test inserting a support rod inside the plastic shaft. For the rod, I used a length of component feet. My magnificient insertion method:
As some of the plastic formed a small bulge around the component feet, the halves didn’t fit together too good. In an attempt to make the joint more solid, I added a small dab of epoxy in-between. Not that it helped much..
So there. Not the most solid fix ever, but the slider does withstand careful use. Pushing it from the very tip would probably break the joint eventually. All in all, it seems that my Odyssey getting closer to slider swap. It’s not like my slider cleanup routine was meant as a lasting repair anyway :)