Korg Polysix board repairs
A defunct Korg Polysix inbound for repairs.. Prior to getting my hands on the synth I briefly checked the net for schematics and typical faults. The owner had taken a look inside and noticed a leaked battery, so I knew a little bit what to expect.. Seemingly, battery leakage is a pretty common root cause for faults in the Polysix.
Among the top search results was Scott Rider’s Polysix repair page. Here, the battery leak repair procedure is described well in detail so do take a look at this if interested. Much thanks to this article, I was even more well-prepared beforehand :)
Eventually, the synth appears at my desk..
Nothing even remotely as bad as in Scott’s example, just a few damaged traces under IC31 and a bit of dirt in the near vicinity (namely, IC30).
Whilst removing IC30 & IC31 for the trace repairs, I decided to install sockets for both chips despite there wasn’t any damage under IC30. Clean up and trace repairs took a while longer than expected, but nothing really problematic. Before soldering in the sockets, I checked the repaired traces for continuity and afterwards for short-circuits.
Seems I got lucky as there isn’t anything else to repair.. Off it goes, yay \o/