Odyssey, keyboard crazy
When googling around for what spare parts might be available, among the first things I came across were the replacement keyboard bushings. At first I didn’t really think of this as a serious repair, but as I got the swap done the difference was way more dramatic than I had expected. So I’m quite happy that I decided to order a replacement set anyway. I knew I’d be dismantling the keyboard anyway, so it wouldn’t be much of a hassle to replace the bushings while I’m at it.. The main problem with the keys was that most of the keys were slightly misaligned due to slightly bent supports in the keyboard frame. This in turn contributed to some of the keys making clanking noises against the case when you released them swiftly. Like, say, playing fast arpeggios with a light touch.
As you can see the bushings were rather dried out, but nothing as bad as illustrated in this bushing replacement tutorial. Most of them also had small cracks and tears in them, so it might’ve been just a matter of time when the bushings would’ve started to fall off by themselves. There was also some signs of liquid spillage on the keyboard frame and this had built up a decent amount of dust and dirt on it.
When cleaning away the spillage I had to use both rubbing alcohol and cleaning spray to get everything off. The rubbing alcohol removed also some of the paint on a few spots (see picture above) but I didn’t feel like being as thorough with the keyboard as to start removing the resistor board and mechanics to be able to repaint the whole frame. While removing the keys I managed to lose one of the silicone contact studs. Luckily I had some leftover silicone tube: A properly sized piece of the tube and the keyboard was ready for reassembling and key alignment.
The key alignment was simply a matter of carefully adjusting each of the key supports (the ones holding the bushings) with needle-nose pliers somewhat level, then mounting the assembled keyboard to the case for fine adjustments.