TR9090, sequencer anyone?
No actual progress on the drum synth itself, but instead I’ve been toying around with a sketch for a sequencer. As TR9090 is a plain sound module, adding a sequencer would make it more faithful to the original 909. More importantly, much more self-contained and ‘hands on’. Modifying something out of the MBHP platform would provide a relatively straightforward solution and maybe even I, the less programming oriented, could manage this. Heavy emphasis on the word ‘maybe’ ;) .. Here’s what I’ve been planning feature-wise:
- Menu encoder with integrated button (ie. Inc/Dec Value + OK/Cancel).
- Tempo adjustment knob + tempo LED.
- Shuffle amount adjustment knob.
- Standard buttons; Play, Stop/Continue, Edit/Store, Flam On/Off, Instrument Select/Mute.
- Buttons with LEDs; Shuffle On/Off, Pattern Select, Pattern Length, Steps 1 to 16.
- Five buttons under display for menu functions.
Play Mode functionality
- Default mode on power up.
- During playback, the according step is indicated with the Step LED.
- Select LED lit.
- Play individual drum sound with default velocity: Press Step buttons 1 to 11.
- Mute individual drum sound: Press Instr Select/Mute + Step buttons 1 to 11.
- Tempo: Freely adjustable using Tempo knob or press Step 16 repeatedly for tap tempo.
- Pattern select: Press Pattern + Step 1 to 10. Should change when the last digit has been input and the current pattern finishes playing. Or maybe user-selectable behaviour?
- Play Mode: Step 12 = Forward, Step 13 = Reverse, Step 14 = Ping Pong.
- Shuffle: Freely adjustable, enable/disable with Shuffle On/Off and adjust to required swing amount.
- Flam: Enable/disable with Flam On/Off. Flammed steps are selected in editing mode.
Edit Mode functionality
- Should be accessible without stopping/interfering playback.
- Length LED lit.
- Edit/Store: Enable edit mode, press second time to store changes and return to play mode.
- Drum sound select: Press Instr. Sel/Mute + Step 1 to 11. Display should show the name of sound to be edited as long as Sel/Mute is held. Repeated presses on same Step button should trigger the sound (?)
- Step On/Off: Once sound has been selected, press Step 1 to 16 to enable/disable given step, LED lit for enabled steps.
- Velocity: Press and hold Step 1 to 16, adjust value (from default) using datawheel.
- Flam: Press Flam On/Off + Step 1 to 16 to enable/disable per step, LED lit for enabled steps.
- Pattern Length: Press Pattern + Steps 1 to 16.
- Menu/Cancel selects menu on/off
- Values defined by datawheel or by Step buttons. Possible to use combination of both?
- Play Mode: Possible menu buttons Copy, Paste, Sys, Load, Save.
- Play Mode sub menus: Copy/Paste could contain Pattern/Vel/Flam/All. Sys could contain Midi channel selection for TxD / RxD separately, clock selection (int/ext) and value for defaul velocity.
- Edit Mode: Possible menu buttons Copy, Swap, Paste, Clr, Func
- Edit Mode sub menus: Copy/Swap/Paste, same as Play Mode. Func should contain at least Randomize, Shift pattern left/right functions.
So nothing too complex feature-wise, make it performance oriented above all. So, no deep menus and complex modifier button combos. I even bothered doing a sketch of a possible layout. MSPaint FTW \:D/
Should be self-explanatory at a glance, the red dots and numbers are LEDs.